Monday, December 21

I hate christmas music

Garrison Keillor is getting flack for his column on Christmas in which he complains "Christmas is a Christian holiday - if you're not in the club, then buzz off. Celebrate Yule instead or dance around in druid robes for the solstice."

Wow. Strong words. I mean bringing religion into the holiday, that's ballsy. Of course you wouldn't know it with all the consumerism, decorations featuring snowmen, Santa and reindeer. The producer of the Charlie Brown Christmas from eons ago recalled that the network didn't want Linus' eloquent nativity monologue from St. Luke's. It was too religious they insisted. He was aghast. I'm with him.

I was raised Catholic and understand where it all the traditions, rituals and meanings involved come from. I like the whole gift giving thing and putting up a tree. I like seeing decorative lights but we could do without the cheesy commerical crap passing for christmas music. I grew up hearing traditional European songs like "Adeste Fidelis", and "Ave Maria". I still cry when I hear "I wonder as I wander". Now that's Christmas music.

Keillor and other traditionalists have to get used to the fact that the holiday has been appropriated by many people with many meanings. Let's enjoy this as a time to be with family and friends instead of complaining.

By the way Happy Holidays.

No comments: