I find it interesting and puzzling how people confuse an actor with a role they played. Should the fan run into the actor in real life, they will identify them with the character, sometimes to an embarrassing degree. They don’t even need to be a good actor. The identity can be so strong it sticks. Should they play a villain, they are greeted as such. If they plays a good guy then a bad guy, then people have a really hard time figuring out how to react. Is it wishful fantasy or lack of critical thinking? These are probably the same people who accept everything they see on the news too.
I mean, I get it, that’s how how people see them-in a role. This is more common with TV or movie, not so much with theater because there’s a different relationship with live performance then with recorded. Rob Reiner knew he was always going to be greeted with “meathead” from his early work on “All in the Family”.
There are exceptions Henry Cavill, who played Superman, walked around Times Square where there was a huge banner announcing the film, while wearing a Superman t- shirt and no one noticed. More likely, given New Yorkers attitude, they didn’t give a shit. Neither should anyone else. Fame is fleeting and caprious.
Personally I’m impressed with someone’s fame for about 30 seconds and I never mistake an actor for their role. Being in theater, I know better.
No comments:
Post a Comment