Friday, December 9

I Hate Amazon

                            Downtown Cairo Illinois

 

    It's the season for gift giving and I plan to shop local to promote our community and economy-BUT there is this bald, white billionaire who has ruined it for everyone-except him.

    Amazon started out as a small start up, shipping books from a garage. Companies like Walmart and Google started out the same way with good ole capitalism. Then they became successful and so big, they turned into monsters devouring everything in sight.

Shopping beyond the basics now relies on a mega corporation that sucks the life out of local economies, has a return policy that is ruinous, wasteful and bad for the environment not to mention unsustainable in the long run.

    I wanted to buy a simple item on a Christmas wish list without giving any money to a greedy, faceless company that treats it's employees like shit. I searched at two home improvement giants and several local shops with no luck- even at Walmart. Ever try calling their customer service? It took me three attempts to talk to an actual person who informed they didn't have the product even though it was listed on their website. I gave up.

    Another time when I couldn't find a headset at Fred Meyer (also merging with a mega corporation) the clerk said " Maybe you can get it on Amazon." I frowned her in disbelief. Oh I see, you want me to give my money to another business. This detested phrase is right up there with " Just Google it." Grrrr.

Some may argue it's convenient, easy and stuff is delivered right to your door. But when     I shop in person, my money goes to someone here, not into the pocket of the poster boy for avarice.

    What's missing is the human contact when walking into an actual store. Going out gives me a chance to walk around and get away from the house- especially after the last two years of forced isolation. I like going into a shop and interact with people who want to help you find what you're looking for and are knowledgeable about their product. I like handling things so I know if it's right or not. I can wander and explore what else they have. I can order a book from a local store and they will cheerfully hold it for me to pick up later.

    When did commerce become so impersonal? When did it become more trouble than it's worth? What is wrong with these people? Hopefully the economic pendulum will swing the other way and monopolies will die off like the dinosaur so we will return to the near by, familiar locally owned mercantile- please?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Antitrust- we need Senator Warren to start up the consumer protection bureau again!

MM said...

Touché. You're speaking my language!

Eileen said...

I don’t shop on line! Makes my head hurt. Touching is important to me and returns can end up in a landfill somewhere. Great article, I really feel it too.

Susan said...

Um... except when you need a replacement doo-hickey or specific thingy, you can spend 10 minutes on Amazon. Or spend hours wandering through multiple stores, none of which have it. So amazon is very useful.