Friday, February 11

All the worlds a stage

"One of the worst things you can do as an actor, I think, is to forget your lines, and then get so flustered you start stabbing the other actors." Jack Handy

I went to an audition a week ago and surprise, surprise, I got cast in a 10 minute play in the Northwest Play Series at a local theater. I did a short monologue from "Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe" by Jane Wagner/ Lily Tomlin. I hate auditons because I get nervous, I worry I'll forget my lines but mostly because I'm really lame at directing myself. Fortunately I got help from a professional actor and teacher who gave me some very valuable tips and it helped me relax enough to actually enjoy it.

So now I have to learn lines, work with another actor who has far more professional experience than me and a fussy director ( actually every director I've worked with was fussy). Do I look nervous? Yes, but I don't think I'll end up like Jack Handy.

No comments: