Sunday, April 1

The Rave Conversation with an Adept


 And now for a completely different approach to the discussion of current events.

            The morning was full of bright sunlight through the windows as I wandered into the dining room with my morning cup of tea.
            "You look rather intense, what's on your mind?" The adept asked as I sat down at the table across from him.
            " Oh the latest mass shooting," I ventured, my voice tinged with sad fatigue at yet  another massacre.
            "The discussion- what little there is- is just a lot of noise," he said.
            "What do you mean by noise?" I asked with some irritation.
            " Talking round the subject rather than straight on. It's not about gun control, mental health issues, politics or the NRA. What do all these shootings have in common?"  he asked as he pulled out a deck of cards and started a game of solitaire, his favorite meditation tool, while I contemplated. Where did these boys learn to pick up a gun and shoot in anger? We don't see gays or women lashing out with assault rifles.
            "Angry men," I answered.
            "Yes, and what is it that makes these men so angry they are driven to kill? No noisy answers please," he admonished me with a smile, as I was about to offer my own opinion. I shut up and thought again.
              What really baffles me about this latest shooting is that instead of praising teenagers for standing up, they are being ridiculed by adults for wanting to put weapons down.
            It occurs to me there is an element of the bully culture here. Deep down adults condone these shootings the same way they condone bullying despite claiming "zero tolerance" of it. They secretly wish they could mete out their boiling anger at the misfits, the loners and students who are different. They let the bully do the dirty work then defend them. Punishing the rebellious is an easy solution.
            I guess it's the fear of losing control that pushes the patriarchy to smear and deride victims of violence-especially the women. Except, this time, young men are joining in the pushback at the usual vindictive response.
            " I think this needs to be answered by men," I said in defeat; his smile widens.
            "Yes. We need to look at the legacy handed down to us and reject a philosophy that a only allows for angry isolation. Hundreds more will die until men learn to express themselves beyond the narrow confines society has forced on them ."
             Really? I thought with a raised eyebrow, that's a tough sell, considering even a discussion of feelings is seen as wimpy and emasculating.
            " I've only been waiting for men's liberation for forty years," I said sardonically. He looked up from his game with a jerk of the head and stared at me with an expression of certainty.
            "It will happen when love replaces anger and hope replaces cynicism, " he said with conviction. "Embrace all of your emotions and be a full human being," he said, spreading out his hands. I should know better than to debate with an optimist and stared at him.
            "Drink you tea, it's getting cold."            





           

No comments: