Friday, September 28

The Big Trip - Finale

What a Long Strange Trip it's Been
     Plans are made for Waterworld /Waldameer, changed, then changed again. Meanwhile, Mike and I check out the Tom Ridge Environmental Center that is across the road from the park. The view from the four story tower is nice but the exhibits are sadly in need of upgrading.  
     We finally make it to Waterworld and there is a security check point as we enter the park. What the fuck? A search by rent a cops at an amusement park? Apparently there had been "trouble" at the park from gangs or some dumb shit so now everyone has their bags rummaged as if they are hardened criminals. I refuse to play this game and when there is a second check at the entrance to Waterworld adjacent to the park, I simply drop my swim suit and towel on the ground for the underpaid sheep to hand it back to me. Why people put up with this bullshit is beyond me. Don't be a sheep. 
     After playing in water, we dry off and meet up with Amanda, hubby Chuck and their four kids. Blaine is recovering from a leg fracture and is still hesitant to walk on the weak leg so he -and the rest of us- get to use the disabled entrance to the rides.

The Hoover kids left to right, Ashton, Emma, Blaine, Alisa, Delaney and Mike.
      Waldameer has three coasters. The Ravine Flyer 2 (the first one was removed in 1938 after a tragic accident), the Steel Dragon and the Comet. At a mere 20 feet rise, The Comet is so tame one can hold a conversation and drink tea. Blaine isn't big enough to go on the big rides yet so we go two round trips with him. Ash and Emma try to cajole me to go with them on a new spin and puke ride but honestly, I get a vicarious thrill just watching them. Being a good sport, I accept another ride on the Ravine Flyer but I'm still a wimp as I hold on while Chuck, Ash and Emma keep their hands in the air the whole time. 
     On the last day of my stay in Erie, Mike and I are up early to get donuts on the way to visit Brianna, his youngest daughter, who is in town briefly.

The center of evil for a dieter.
     Mighty Fine Donuts is an institution in Erie. My dad used to stop in on Sundays for a dozen as a treat after church. I am tempted to get the sugar coated, cream filled one I had as a kid, but like a former addict tempted to try their old dosage I realize it would probably put me in a glucose coma and settle for two small glazed cakes instead. 
     Later, Bonnie takes me on a nostalgic trip to the zoo which outs out to be a bust. The park train isn't running, some of the exhibits are closed, so is the cafe and the animals wisely sleep in the shade on another hot, steamy day. I'm much happier when we head to an air conditioned restaurant for a salad bar and girl talk.
Bonnie listening to a dog's advise. 

     We say goodbye then I finish packing. Mike and I head off to see the kids one last time for an evening bike ride around the cemetery near their house. Overall I am pleased with the trip. No drama or big revelations, just pleasant time together, which is the best outcome when visiting long distance relatives. Mike is remarkably calm and quiet, the kids are fun and energetic and very wise for their age. Bonnie is a effusive as ever, the optimistic Pooh to my glum Eyeore. The last time I saw Amanda, Monica and Brianna, they were kids now they are all grown up with full lives and kids of their own.
      Mike lives close to downtown so there was no straying into the old neighborhood except for the drive past the houses my mom and dad grew up in. My time in Erie as a child was not kind but there is so much distance between then and now so whatever fears or ghosts I had are long gone. Now I have warm memories to replace the cold ones.



With Wyatt Daniels.
 

And Now a Word From Moose


I loved Martha's Vineyard. I made sure Alisa collected sand and shells to bring Cape Cod home in a jar. 
     I've been to Palau, I've been to San Francisco so many times I lost interest but I've never been to the east coast so I insisted on coming along on Alisa's Big Trip.


Wow, look at the cool globes above Din's living room.

The boss and cousin Buzzy. Damian Jr. is not interested in a photo op. 
     I spent most of my time sleeping in Erie cause Alisa forgot to include me in her activities- ahem- but she was having too much fun, so I can forgive her.


The boss getting raunchy with a clown. 
The Long Train West 
     I leave Erie the way I arrive: in the middle of garbage night. No pithy metaphor there, just weird timing. For a change I actually slept on the train. It's the same staff as before; the intimidating Claude and the nice female car attendant. We exchange smiles and she asks how my vacation went.
     "I can't wait to sleep in my own bed again," I sigh.
     "I hear you girl," she agrees.
     I have a four hour layover in Chicago. Not enough time to sightsee but I have a huge muffaleto for lunch, thanks to a recommendation by a nice cop. Union Station was crawling with them. The classic building is undergoing major renovations so the great hall is draped in plastic and scaffolding. The place has been used in many movies, like the set of stairs over there, where the climatic scene from "Man of Steel" was shot.


 

      On the Empire Builder, I have two seats in coach to spread out and manage to get some sleep. North Dakota and Montana are flat and boring. The food on Amtrak used to be fairly decent but the quality has suffered. Another cost cutting measure I'm sure. I alternate drinking booze and tea.

Gin and tonic in a can,that's new.
     During a brief stop, two border patrol officers come through the car asking the passengers for their citizenship in a new and ridiculous attempt at intimidation. 
     " I'm American," I glare at the federale idiot. He wisely moved on.
     The incidents of security and armed guards, remind me we are living in a police state. I am annoyed at the paranoia and angry with the loss of real freedom in the country. 
     We stop in East Glacier Park for a glorious sunset, as the train weaves thru the mountains, I see the glow of a forest fire on the other side of a ridge; smoke seeps into the lounge car and I know we're back on the dry west.
     The next day as we travel along the Columbia gorge, I see whole hillsides of charred trees and smoky haze obscures a view of the Cascades.
      That night I slept in my own bed. Home, sweet home indeed.



No comments: