Thursday, May 16

In Case of Melt Downs





This post was written as a personal plea but it can apply to others as well.


        I love hanging with my family and friends because I'm most at ease with them but sometimes, melt downs happen.  We all have them but for someone with ASD  it's a constant threat. Social situations are fraught with mental land mines. Being sensitive to the environment, staying hyper alert to act "normal" and be in control of my emotions is tiring and sometimes it's too much- I snap. So while you, the neuro typical, may brush it off  frustration with a deep sigh or shake of the head, the autistic will retreat into silence, "stimming" (short for self simulating behavior like rocking or flapping hands) or going ballistic. Guess which route I usually go? Often times I'm so overwhelmed I don't see it coming then I'm aghast at my mistake and now everyone is uncomfortable and it's all my fault etc. A melt down is a signal that I'm in acute state of anxiety, lost control, or worse, sensed I have done something wrong.
            To avoid this kind of discomfort, the best thing to do is realize it's not a willful childish tantrum to get attention- quite the opposite, I'm acting out of stress and anxiety. Gently let me know with a gesture and  "It's ok, slow down, get your one point, breath." and change the subject.  This will calm me down, distract me from obsessing about the distress and I will be better company.
            Unlike some people who embrace their disability, I dislike being autistic. Melt downs   reminds me how, among other things, I misread subtle social cues, body language and get caught up in a self centered loop of  negative criticism.
            Understand that autism is a way of perceiving the world, that my emotional age is arrested, and is never going to change no matter how hard I try. Please respect that and be kind to the hurt child in me.




No comments: